Head of Commercial Law
Alia is Head of Commercial Law at A City Law Firm Limited and is responsible for managing the firm’s growing Company and Commercial Team. She worked previously for a well-established legal firm in the city of London.
Alia’s current focus is to assist clients on the law and business growth. She heads up a team of lawyers and is proactive and approachable.
Alia assists clients in the following:
- Solving legal problems affecting businesses.
- Advising clients on drafting and negotiation of shareholder agreements, bespoke terms and conditions and employment contracts.
- Advising clients on intellectual property matters
- Business acquisition and disposal including preparing enterprises for sale or purchase.
- Advising clients on franchising, joint ventures, logistics agreements, managed services and manufacturing agreements to sponsorship agreements and supply chain management.
Alia offers practical legal solutions and advice to clients enabling them to make important, informed commercial decisions. She is practical and proactive in nature and focuses on presenting the best solution for the client.
Alia believes in getting to know her clients, their business and the people running it. By learning about her client’s aims and ambitions she believes that she can help clients to achieve their objectives.
Alia receives excellent feedback from her clients for being approachable and delivering legal advice that is easy to understand.
Alia’s specialist areas are as follows:
Corporate: Alia advises on all aspects of company formation or restructuring including the drafting of bespoke articles of association and shareholder agreements; resolving shareholder disputes and advising majority or minority shareholders on their respective rights; dealing with director and shareholder exits including negotiating the terms of exit; advising on all aspects of company law including the Companies Acts 1985, 1989 and 2006 including the application of Table A for companies who have “off the shelf” corporate governance documents; providing independent legal advice to individual directors, both executive and non-executive and advising on their duties and liabilities on exit and insolvency matters; acting as corporate adviser to companies and their boards; preparing all necessary board minutes, resolutions and carrying out Companies House filings.
Commercial drafting: Alia is instructed to prepare goods and services contracts, shareholders and partnership agreements, joint venture agreements and director's service level agreements. Alia is instructed to draft terms of business, confidentiality agreements, website terms and bespoke agreements for various businesses. Alia has experience of drafting staff handbooks, consultancy agreements and policies.
Technology: Alia has specialist experience within the technology sector and has advised many technology startups. She advises startups at all stages, including early stage advice, attracting investment, launching and exit.
The majority of the work she is required to undertake involves raising finance and drafting contracts relevant to the stage of the start up. Including the following:
The early stages:
- Advice on business structure
- Advising on protecting ideas and drafting NDA’s
- Drafting founders’ agreements and advice on vesting cliffs
- Drafting software developer agreements
- Implementing EMI and other share option pools
- Advice on relevant SEIS/ EIS schemes – eligibility and applications
- Negotiating and drafting negotiating investment agreement
- Term sheet advice and negotiation
- Drafting employment contract and director service agreements
- Getting the businesses “house in order” to attract investors
- Data protection and privacy advice – registering businesses with the ICO
- Terms and Conditions for software as a service, platform or app
- Drafting privacy and cookie policies
- Conducting share and asset sale transactions
- Conducting due diligence and negotiating terms with potential buyers
- Reporting to clients on the viability of transactions
Intellectual property: Alia has an established intellectual property practice advising clients from the acquisition, protection and exploitation of intellectual property as well as advising on contentious issues including trademark infringement and claims relating to of passing off and breach of confidentiality.
Commercial Litigation: Having spent four years as a commercial litigator often appearing in Court and representing clients at hearings, Alia’s experience in litigation compliments her current practice and clients regularly instruct her to advise on commercial matters with a contentious element.
- International Joint Venture (2016)
- Investment into a start-up technology company (c.£1,000,000) (2016)
- purchase of SME (valued at over £4,000,000) (2016)
- IP dispute over software code and technology development
- Commercial Fraud of an employee within technology company
- Complex share purchase £3 million
- Negotiating Director Exit £500,000
Associations and Memberships
- Expert advisor on The Working Mums Panel...view here
We will look after you.
A City Law Firm
We will look after you.