Child Orders

Residence and Contact Orders

If you have separated from your partner or spouse and have children together, you may wish to ascertain how you stand regarding how often you can see your children and living arrangements for them.  It can be a very emotional time for the couple splitting up and of course for the children involved. Discussions regarding children and the continuation of parenting after deciding to live separately can be emotive and distressing. We aim to apply a sensitive approach to matters raised within such discussions and to assist in applying a practical, legal solution.

This area is governed by the Children Act 1989 and it's application by the Courts. The Courts generally take a 'No Order' view when deciding how to approach disagreements over child contact and residence decisions. This approach is based on a need to ensure that the parties can achieve workable arrangements between themselves, as ultimately this is what is in the best interests of the children. In light of this, the first steps in any dispute regarding children is to try and make an approach to the other party to initiate an agreement. If this is not successful an application to the Court may be necessary.

Prohibited Steps Orders and Specific Issues Orders

Should you experience other difficulties such as your former partner carrying out or intending to carry out a particular act you disagree with or require them to undertake a certain action in respect of the children we can advise and assist you in relation to Prohibited Steps Orders and Specific Issue Orders which are also governed by the same law above.

At A City Law Firm we specialise in disputes involving children and we understand how difficult and stressful it can be for you and for the family as a whole. We will provide you with sensitive and constructive advice throughout, with the aim of achieving a satisfactory outcome for you and for your children.

Please give our Client Management Team a call who will be happy to assist you further.